This year, the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan and the first week of Syawal have been affected by the circuit breaker measures, including the closure of mosques. In the lead-up to Hari Raya Aidilfitri, the Government has received feedback requesting that the customary practice of takbir (expression of gratitude on the completion of Ramadan) on Hari Raya eve, as well as the takbir and khutbah (sermon) by the Mufti of Singapore on Hari Raya Aidilfitri, be made more widely accessible to the Muslim community, including on free-to-air television.
2. The Infocomm Media Development Authority’s (IMDA) free-to-air television code does not allow for religious content in order to maintain a secular public broadcast service in our multi-religious society. The Government has been working with the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS) to support the Muslim community’s religious needs through other channels.
3. MUIS has organised several initiatives to help Muslims fulfil their religious obligations during Hari Raya Aidilfitri. For the first time in Singapore, a “live” online takbir will be broadcast via YouTube Live on SalamSG TV, Facebook (FB) Live on Muis FB and the FB pages of mosques on Hari Raya eve. On Hari Raya Aidilfitri, the “live” online takbir and the Mufti’s khutbah will also be broadcast on these online platforms.
4. Every year, Warna 94.2FM broadcasts the takbir on Hari Raya eve as well as the takbir and Mufti’s khutbah on the morning of Hari Raya Aidilfitri. This year, Warna 94.2FM will broadcast the takbir and Mufti’s khutbah “live” for the benefit of those who are unable to access the content through the Internet.
5. Warna 94.2FM has also added 10 minutes to its existing one hour of daily religious programming since the closure of mosques due to the circuit breaker. This will continue until the mosques are fully re-opened. SalamSG TV will also continue to provide relevant content online.
6. To bring the nation together to celebrate Hari Raya Aidilfitri with the Muslim community, the Ministry of Communications and Information is collaborating with Mediacorp on special Hari Raya eve programmes that will be telecast on Channel 5 and Suria on Saturday, 23 May 2020. The programmes will include Hari Raya greetings from the President and the Prime Minister, as well as special performances to celebrate Hari Raya and uplift the spirit of all Singaporeans.